DSWD spent over 2.6 billion peso for cash grants program in Central Mindanao


KORONADAL CITY, March 29 — The Department of Social Welfare and Development spent over 2.7 billion peso last year for Conditional Cash Transfer, the government’s signature anti-poverty program.

Bai Zorahayda Taha, DSWD 12 regional director, said Wednesday the money were used to fund the grants of 233,435 households covered by the program also known Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program.


Residents plant peanuts in Ned, Tboli, South Cotabato.

Taha said of the total Php 2,672,109,600.00 cash grants paid to compliant beneficiaries, around Php 1,340,546,600.00 were used to cover their education and  Php 1,331,563,000.00 for their health assistance.

At the same time, Taha reported the cash transfer scheme assisting about 558,482 children aged 0-18.

“We assure the education and health care needs of these children given to them,” Taha said.

The program has been around since the administration of then President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

Jonna Rose Fresco, regional monitoring and evaluation officer, said the program motivated parents to register and secure birth certificates at their civil registrar’s office.

“It motivates mothers especially the pregnant women to visit the health center for regular check up,” Fresco said.

Under its conditions, the CCT allocates grants P500 to P1, 400 for each beneficiary household, depending on the number of eligible children. Each family is allowed a maximum of three children to receive the monthly benefits.

It calls children aged 3 to 18 to stay in school and maintain class attendance of at least 85 percent each month.

Pregnant women are also required to avail pre- and post-natal care, and delivery must be assisted by skilled health personnel, while parents are mandatory to take “family development sessions” to enable them to become better parents. (End)

Leave a Reply

Photo Gallery


© Copyright 2013 Mindanao Post. All Rights Reserved Designed By: Xsem Designs