Two soldiers killed, four wounded as rebels attack military detachments in southern Philippines

TACURONG, Philippines, January 3 — A soldier was killed while four others were wounded in separate fresh attacks staged by breakaway Muslim rebels in the southern Philippines, a military official said.

A group of Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters attacked a military post 12:00 midnight of Friday in the town of General SK Pendatun, Maguindanao.

The incident left a soldier dead and another wounded. More than 50 families have also fled to safer grounds for fear of their safety.

The military have deployed additional troops in the town to pursue the perpetrators.

Captain Joan Petinglay, spokesperson for the Army’s 6th Division, said earlier on same day suspected members of BIFF also harassed two their outpost in nearby town of President Querino in Sultan Kudarat. The attacks, according to her, left one soldier dead and three wounded.

“Our troops from the 33rd Infantry Battalion are conducting clearing operation in the area,” Petinglay said.

The BIFF has carried out many deadly attacks in a bid to disrupt the peace negotiations between the MILF and the government.

The BIFF is the armed wing of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement which broke away from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in 2010 as a result of disagreements over the conduct of peace talks with the government. (End)

Leave a Reply

Photo Gallery

120x600
Categories

© Copyright 2013 Mindanao Post. All Rights Reserved Designed By: Xsem Designs